Since organizing the unread bookcase, I have been thinking about doing a book buying ban. I kinda had a vague idea of giving up buying books for Lent. I was raised Catholic, and though it has been many years since I have truly practiced any religion, every year come Lent, I give something up (to varying degrees of success) and I do not eat meat on Fridays. This was all just in the planning phase (meaning I knew I should go on a book ban but I didn’t have any real plans to).
And then I found out about Barnes & Noble’s #bookhaul sale. Armed with a Christmas gift card I hit my local store. I bought 4 books (and didn’t buy about a dozen more). My local store did not have the book I went in to buy – so of course I hopped online where I bought 4 more (because free shipping).
- Freefall by Jessical Barry (because I love thrillers)
- Here and Now and Then by Mike Chen (because I love time travel stories)
- Dirty John by Christopher Goffard (because #murdermondaybookclub)
- The Similars by Rebecca Hanover (because I love YA SciFi stories)
- An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen (because I love thrillers)
- Red Alert by James Patterson (because NYPD RED is my favorite Patterson series)
- Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte (because I love YA Fantasy stories)
- Consumed by JR Ward (because I love mystery / romance / action stories)
Dirty John is the book I went to the #bookhaul sale to buy. Red Alert is the newest book in one of my favorite fun series to read (these books are like a reading vacation to me: fast paced and fun). I already owned The Wife Between Us and after talking about both books with a fellow bookstagrammer I was leaning toward reading them back to back so when I saw An Anonymous Girl was included in the sale I didn’t hesitate to add it to the pile.
The rest of the books I choose first because of the cover and then because of the synopsis in the flap. I am a sucker for a good cover. Sometimes when I look at the preview the story doesn’t catch with me. These books had both : a good cover and good story I want to read.
Now that I’ve added these 8! books to my TBR the book ban is in full effect. Two months (March and April) minimum. The rules: no books bought until I read 7 of these books (Dirty John is scheduled for a book club in the fall) or May 1 (if i finish the books before that I still have to wait until May 1). The progress so far: I already read An Anonymous Girl and I’m currently reading Four Dead Queens (a surprising second choice because this is the exact kind of book I love to buy and then not read).
I’m honestly excited about all of these books and I’m hoping this ban stops the vicious cycle of find a book, fall in love, buy the book. And before I can read it I find another book, I fall in love again, and I read it before all the other books I’ve found and loved.